10 Verses For When You are Feeling Unloved
Written by: Shemeca Richard
For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.
- John 3:16 NLT
What is love?
Webster‘s Dictionary defines love as a strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties; affection based on admiration.
We long to be loved and to feel loved. When we feel loved, we feel safe, secure, wanted, and validated. Notice that the word feel has been used several times. It has been said that love is an action and not a feeling. I tend to agree. But as humans, we are “wired to feel.” Most of us live through our emotions. That is why we long to be or feel loved. But what happens when we feel unloved? We may feel lonely, depressed, and rejected.
There are many times when I do not feel loved. But feeling loved is different from knowing that you are loved.
God loves us. There is no love greater than His love. I know that there are times when it is hard to feel His love or even believe that He loves us. It is easier to feel or believe that you are loved when there is someone showering you with affection or telling you that you are loved. My sweet sister, take heart; God loves you more than you can ever imagine.
Here are ten Scriptures to encourage you when you are feeling unloved.
1) For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. - John 3:16 NLT
God loves us so much that he sent His only son to die for our sins. He also promised us eternal life if we believe. Can you imagine willingly giving up your only child to save anyone, especially a world full of sinners? As a mother of one child, I am not sure that is something that I would be willing to do.
2) The Lord appeared to him from far away. I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you. - Jeremiah 31:3 (ESV)
God loves us with an everlasting love. Webster’s dictionary defines everlasting as: continuing for a long time or indefinitely. No love can compare to God’s everlasting love. God is faithful to us as He shows us an everlasting love.
3) Give thanks to the God of heaven. His faithful love endures forever. - Psalm 136:26 (NLT)
Here we see that word faithful again. Scripture shows us that God’s love is faithful.
4) For the Lord your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs. - Zephaniah 3:17 (NLT)
God is great. He takes in delight in us so much that our fears are calmed with His love.
5) See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.
- 1 John 3:1 (NIV)
This is one of my favorite verses as it talks about how God lavishes His love on us. According to Webster’s Dictionary, lavish means: marked by profusion or excess. Wow! I get excited to know that God gives us love in excess. This is why it is more important to know that you are than to feel that you are loved.
6) But you, O Lord, are a God of compassion and mercy, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness. - Psalm 86:15 (NLT)
Not only does God fill us with His unfailing love; He is slow to get angry at us and He bestows on us compassion and mercy. This is a type of love that I have to remember when I am feeling unloved.
7) And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. 1 John 4:16 (NIV)
God is love. We reference God for so many reasons. He is love and His love is enough.
8) The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. - Psalm 103:8 (NIV)
God shows us compassion and grace. Webster’s Dictionary defines abounding as: existing in or providing a great or plentiful quantity or supply. God gives us plentiful love.
9) You, Lord, are forgiving and good, abounding in love to all who call to you. - Psalm 86:5 (NIV)
God is forgiving and good. Here again we see that He provides us with a plentiful supply of love.
10) No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us. And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:37-39 (NLT)
Nothing, I mean absolutely nothing can separate us from God’s love. No demon in hell, no negative thoughts, no abusive words, no fears, no worries, and no powers of darkness. This is how much God loves us. God’s love will never give up on us. It will never fail us. He loves us with an everlasting and unfailing love. When you start to “feel” unloved, read these Scriptures to help you remember and “know” that you are loved.
My challenge is for you to read, recite, and remember these Scriptures. Hide them in your heart.
WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT A RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD? CLICK HERE