5 Taylor Swift Post-Breakup Songs
Written by: Jessica Mills
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name. Great is our Lord and mighty in power; his understanding has no limit.
- Psalm 147:3-5 (NIV)
Relationships are hard but breakups are always harder. I don’t know about you, but in the past, my go-to post-breakup care package always included my journal, a pint (or two) of my favorite dairy-free ice cream, and listening to Taylor Swift jams on repeat. The girl just gets it. And she always seems to be able to articulate what you are feeling but may not be able to say on your own.
I personally would like to thank my best friend Tay and the good Lord for helping me get over some of the worst heartbreaks. Below are 5 of the best Taylor Swift songs to listen to after an emotionally draining breakup.
1. All Too Well: This song is probably Taylor’s greatest masterpiece, in my opinion, and really hit home for me the year it was released. I’d been going through a really hard breakup and this song just got to me every time. It’s a good one to listen to fresh after a breakup when you just need an emotional release.
2. Dear John: Another past and present favorite of mine. “Dear John” is a good song to listen to if you’ve been in an unhealthy relationship and want to feel like someone can relate. Trust me, your girl Taylor sure can.
3. Blank Space: While I know this song was written based off of the media's interpretation of Taylor’s dating history, that doesn’t make it any less relatable. We all feel a tad crazy every once in a while, and usually after a breakup our emotions can go any number of ways. Listening to this song is a peppy way to keep working through that process.
4. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together: Now you all know we couldn’t have a list like this without this complete bop from 2012. Once you have had a bit of time to process and reflect on your past relationship, this song is definitely a turn it up/feel good jam.
5. Begin Again: I’ve always loved this song. It tells the story of a woman who has not been appreciated in her past relationship, and is now about to begin a new and positive dating scenario. I feel like this song is a good reminder that nice guys do still exist, even if we may still feel bitter towards our past.
These are just a few of my personal favorites for this not-so-fun life experience. However, while I truly believe that music is a good place to go when your heart is in need of healing, nothing will ever compare to the healing power that God has for us. I’ve had a lot of men (or boys, haha) let me down in the past, and the only thing that has continuously gotten me through those darker days was the love of Jesus. I hope that if you are going through a breakup or other emotional hardship, you will remind yourself that you are never alone and that He is always with you.
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. - Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV)
1. What songs have helped you through a past breakup?
2. Is there a way that you can support a loved one who is going through this tough situation?
3. If you are currently healing from a breakup, take some time to journal it out and don’t forget to give yourself grace.
“Dear Lord, I pray that You will be with our brothers and sisters who are going through or are still healing from a breakup. Continue to remind them that they are chosen, loved, seen, and worthy. I thank You for their hearts today. May they continue to seek You when everything feels dark or lonely. Wrap them in Your loving embrace and bring them peace that Your plan is always good. In Jesus’ name, Amen.”
CHECK OUT OUR DAILY DEVOTIONS…
WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT A RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD? CLICK HERE